The interior of the building is in a very dilapidated state, with the collapse of some of the internal ceilings.
Early Nineteenth Century Developments By 1805, just after the Bulls Head was built, Union Street had already fell into decline and was no longer a desirable residential location.
For example, an advertisement concerning the sale of two houses that year states they can be easily converted into warehouses for .
Moreover it is located at Number 19, next door to James Tilford and at the end of our pattern of neighbours. Therefore, the Rate Payer’s books infer the building was a purpose-built public house, constructed between 1802-1804.
Although it could also be that the building was designed as a house but very quickly became a pub.
A small doorway on the left of the building enabled access to a rear courtyard.
The rear of the building is built in an English Bond brick, it is quite common to find late eighteenth and early nineteenth century properties with different bonds of brickwork, the more decorative pattern being used on the front.
This is because the right hand window was altered in the twentieth century to created a high level passage-way which once linked 2 Union Street with 25 Union Street across the way.
The right hand window on the second floor has the remains of warehouse doors inside, which is reflective of the change of use of the building over time.
After John’s death Charlotte ran the pub as well as raising her family for a couple of years until 1822 when she married John Manning at Manchester Collegiate Church (now Manchester Cathedral).